All renewing DEA-registered practitioners must complete 8 hours of one-time training on the treatment and management of patients with opioid or other substance use disorders by their next scheduled DEA registration submission on or after June 27, 2023. Learn More
DEA MATE Act Required 8-Hour Training for License Renewal
Meet the DEA's new requirement under the Medication Access and Training Expansion (MATE) Act in an online, high-quality and self-paced 8-hour DEA MATE Act course specifically designed for practitioners, including Physicians, PAs, NPs, Pharmacists, Dentists and others.
DEA MATE Opioid and Substance Use for Practitioners
1 Course | Self-Paced | High Quality
Earn up to 8.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and 8.0 ANCC Contact Hours
This course meets the 8-hour training requirement for Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registered practitioners such as Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Pharmacists, Dentists, and others relevant to the Medication Access and Training Expansion (MATE) Act (Section 1263 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act [CAA] of 2023).
This course discusses evidence-based strategies and best practices for preventing, treating, and mitigating substance use disorder (SUD) or opioid use disorder (OUD), as well as legal and ethical considerations related to effective pain management and opioid handling.
Foundations in Opioid Administration: Micro-Certification
Opioids and Pain Management: Micro-Certification
Opioid Misuse: Micro-Certification
Substance Use Disorder: Opioids, Treatment Approaches, and Relapse
Confidentiality of Substance Use Patient Records
After completion of this course, the participant should be able to:
- Recall legal requirements for opioid prescribing and handling.
- Apply key recommendations and best practices, restrictions, and requirements for prescribing opioids for pain management.
- Specify essential client education and conversations related to use of opioids for pain management, including safety, storage, and disposal information.
- Identify how geographic, ethnic, and socioeconomic health disparities and biases affect appropriate and equitable pain assessment, treatment, and management.
- Identify the best use of screening tools for substance use disorder (SUD).
- Describe how to identify risk for, diagnose, and appropriately treat someone with opioid overdose, opioid use disorder (OUD), or SUD.
- Evaluate the process and functions of state Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs).
- Identify techniques for building mutual respect between the client, family, and care team responsible for treatment of OUD or SUD.
- Explain potential treatment benefits and pitfalls of medication-assisted treatment (MAT) programs to treat OUD or SUD.
- List strategies that align with HIPAA or the 42 CFR Part 2 (Final Rule) for maintaining the confidentiality of clients and their protected health information (PHI) while undergoing treatment for OUD or SUD.
HealthStream designates this enduring material for a maximum of 8.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This educational offering is provided by HealthStream CNE Provider Unit. HealthStream CNE Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. ANCC Provider Number: P0088. This activity is awarded 8.0 contact hours; 0.0 contact hours are in pharmacology.
TRUSTED HEALTHCARE EDUCATION PROVIDER
HealthStream is the leading provider of clinical development solutions for healthcare professionals and the healthcare industry.
Our Top FAQs
How can I access my courses/content?
Once you have completed your purchase, look for an email requesting you set up login credentials. The email will contain a unique link to set up a new hStream ID using the address you provided.
If you already have an hStream ID using this email address, you do not have to create new login credentials and can begin accessing your new subscription.
How can I find my transcript or find evidence of completed courses?
You will have access to transcripts through the HealthStream Learning Center (HLC).
How do I contact support?
For additional assistance please email customer support at email@example.com a representative will be in touch.